Exploring, Discovering, Learning

I want to make the Past, both History and Prehistory, more exciting, relevant and 'hands-on'. It's a fun place with some great stories, I want to share these with everyone.I work with schools, museums, community groups, either at their place or outdoors in the Landscape.
I develop and deliver projects. I create resources. Exploring the Past and our shared heritage, bridging the divide and Discovering the links between these artefacts, sites or museum and Us. I try to put objects back in context, helping people Learn about the past. I use objects, both orginal and replica, costume, crafts and role play, in other words - Living History.

I'm a member of a small group of like-minded people - The Deja Crew


ps - I personally do not collect any data from this blog. However I know Google does, particularly through Google Analytics - please contact them if you want to know more.

Tuesday 10 September 2013

Rufus in Ravenglass

Last weekend I was with The Deja Crew at Ravenglass, more recruits needed for the mill that is the Roman Army.
I was on the Platform of the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway  an amazing place, but as usual, didn't manage to get a photo of myself next to one of their amazing locomotives.  It's difficult to whip out a camera when you're a Roman!
They are a friendly bunch,


 ...willing to have a go...


 ...with a little training...


 ...they could even become useful troops!


We were busy, some people even came back both days, to continue the experience.  Other members of The Deja Crew were on the Station and two were at the Pennington Hotel.
The whole even was part of a month long celebration of Ravenglass and Eskdale heritage - Lives in the Landscape.  

There is an ongoing excavation of the vicus next to the fort site, just a few minutes walk south of the village, with report on their blog - Romans in Ravenglass - the excavation ends with an open day on 21st September.  There will be a local presentation in November.

A grand time was had by all who came along, thanks for making it such a fun weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment