Exploring, Discovering, Learning

I want to make the Past, both History and Prehistory, more exciting, relevant and 'hands-on'. It's a fun place with some great stories, I want to share these with everyone.I work with schools, museums, community groups, either at their place or outdoors in the Landscape.
I develop and deliver projects. I create resources. Exploring the Past and our shared heritage, bridging the divide and Discovering the links between these artefacts, sites or museum and Us. I try to put objects back in context, helping people Learn about the past. I use objects, both orginal and replica, costume, crafts and role play, in other words - Living History.

I'm a member of a small group of like-minded people - The Deja Crew


ps - I personally do not collect any data from this blog. However I know Google does, particularly through Google Analytics - please contact them if you want to know more.

Friday 10 August 2012

Digging my way out...

Spent a pleasant day playing in the mud on Wednesday, Graham Taylor (Master Potter of Potted History ) is re-building a Saxon style pottery kiln at Bede's World in Jarrow.  Someone was needed to stand up to their knees in the mud and mix it up,

 

The kiln is the hole in the ground and there is a firebox  (the hole in the foreground) that feeds into the main chamber.  In use the kiln will be roofed over with a temporary clay covering with a small flue to draw the heat through the pottery stacked inside the kiln chamber.


The kiln still needs some work to thicken the walls, so weather and workload permitting it will be ready to fire later in the Summer.  I'll let you know when.

No comments:

Post a Comment